Monday, March 29, 2010

Lynn Miller: Art and Ministry Combine for this MUW Alumna

Usually when one thinks of the ordained ministry, the pastor and  his/her assistants come to mind.  However, Lynn Miller, MUW class of 1984 is  an ordained Minister of Word and Sacrament in the PC(USA), whose current assignment is to supply preach around the presbytery (most recently at Trinity Presbyterian in Meridian, where she averages  3 Sundays a month).  She also does art-related programming for congregations. She designs  textile pieces and stained glass for churches, writes arts-related curriculum, serves as artist for various church conferences, and presents workshops on the arts in congregational life and worship. She has presented lectures, written articles, led retreats, etc.   She is also the Head of the Department of Visual and Performing Arts at Madison-Ridgeland Academy in Madison, MS where she teaches  middle and high school art (like many artists, she doesn't find that art pays the bills).  She teaches all week and then on weekends does art programming or preaching somewhere.      
Lynn was raised in the Presbyterian Church and as she said, she has  "chosen it ever since. :-)",  She considers herself a product of the theology in which she was raised, and  always knew the love of Jesus Christ.

During her years at The W (1980-1984) she attended First Presbyterian Church in Columbus (out on Bluecutt Road). While she didn't have any ministry leanings in Columbus, she was nurtured by that congregation.

After getting her BFA from The W, Lynn got an MA in art history from the University of Georgia.  Her original decision to attend seminary was to get a theological education to accompany her art degrees.  Said Lynn "I realized in grad school that much of the history of art was tied to the church, but none of my professors were people of faith (and that's not my judgment, it was their assertion...one of the professors concluded a lecture on a particular church's iconography with the statement 'If you believe that sort of thing'). I thought it would be helpful for me as an artist/art historian to have a theological education to support my art studies, and I also thought it would be important for someone in my church to be able to talk about the arts."

While attending Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond, VA, she began to think about ministry in a sense broader than just a theological education.

While at Mississippi University for Women, Lynn was involved with SGA, Kappa Pi, Honors Program, Silhouettes and Jesters.  She credits  MUW and the friends she made there  for a huge part of who she is.  Lyn said "I know the old standard line about leadership opportunities for women may seem rehearsed, but, really, having the opportunity to do the things I did (which I never did in high school) was invaluable in making me believe that I could do whatever I set my mind to. My love of art history was nurtured by the esteemed Mary Evelyn Stringer. She was such a formative influence. I can't overstate how much of who I am I owe to The W."

The thing she enjoys most about the art portion of her ministry is its  ability to combine the two things she loves: art and faith. Says Miler, "It's delightful to help people put their faith in conversation with the arts. Remember the overquoted line from 'Chariots of Fire' that when he ran, Eric Liddell felt God's pleasure? You'll never catch me running, but when I'm creating and leading others to create I do feel God's pleasure. The 'punch line' of Frederick Buechner's (also probably overquoted) comment on vocation is: 'The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet. '"

Lynn finds being "on" at least 6 days a week is difficult. She has to do lesson preps for 6 classes 5 days a week besides studying and writing liturgy and a sermon every week.  The  required energy and focus, she says, are sometimes found at the end of the rope.

"Do what you love -- even if you have to explain yourself everywhere you go." is her advice to today's students.  " I had to explain faith to the UGA faculty, and I had to explain art to the Union faculty. When I applied for the D.Min. program and talked with the program director about possible doctoral project subjects, the program director said, 'You already know more about that than any of our faculty do.'  But it was a good experience nevertheless, and I both learned from and, I think, taught the faculty."

Lynn's website gives the general idea of her work, along with some images of it. 
When not working she enjoys sleeping, cooking, reading,  and watercolor painting.

Lynn has two "W" stories to tell us.   
When I was in seminary in Virginia, there was an action for which the students were pushing, but it was slow going. I was in a meeting about the situation, and I said, "I believe it's time to put on our pearls and pumps and go to Jackson." The other students looked at me.  I had to explain about the continuing lobbying of the legislature in my W years to keep the school open and that students and alums alike would "put on their pearls and pumps and go to Jackson"...and return as victors. That phrase became a code for any time my classmates got really serious about something. Even the guys would "put on their pearls and pumps and go to Jackson." Go, W Girls! 
and
 Back in December I was asked by a church member at one of the churches where I preach if I would officiate at her mother's funeral. I didn't know her mother, but she really wanted me to do the service. So I met with the member and her brothers before the service and said, "Tell me about your mother." They told wonderfully warm and funny stories about their mother. I thought for a minute about their ages and her age and I asked, "Where did she attend college?" Of course, it was The W. You can identify us anywhere, and I love that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment