Jan Wardlaw McSpadden, MUW class of '68 tells us "I started out as a Brownie Scout in the second grade in Jackson, Mississippi. My family moved to Memphis, Tennessee when I started the seventh grade and was involved in scouting there until I graduated from high school. I earned my Gold Pin during those years."
Jan continued "My favorite memories of scouting include riding the riverboat Avalon down the Mississippi River from Memphis to New Orleans with 500 other Girl Scouts. Also, I represented Tennessee in the All States Encampment in Maryland. During the All States Encampment we spent some time staying in the family home of the sailing instructor who took us out sailing on Chesapeake Bay. We searched for camping sites around Annapolis."
She also had fun closer to home: "I was chosen to hike 50 miles on the Appalachian Trail with a 35 pound pack on my back with girls from other areas. In preparation for the hike in the Appalachian Mountains we went on many 25 mile hikes in military parks in the area. I loved the outdoors and spending time around campfires, singing with all the other girls. There were rich experiences meeting girls from the other states.
Scouting became a family affair for Jan: "I enjoyed every minute of scouting and tried to share my love of scouting with my four children. With four children, two sons and two daughters, I served as scout leader for each child, serving sometimes several years as a leader. It was a delight to get to know other children my child's age. One of my favorite memories as a scout leader was when I invited my father, a former Boy Scout Master, to join my Cub Scout Den on a hike and scavenger hunt in the woods. My family has been involved in scouting through the generations. My eldest son is his son's scout leader in Birmingham, Alabama.


No comments:
Post a Comment