Ruth Wilz Curcuru, Class of '83, was a Junior Girl Scout for three years in three different troops in Biloxi and Long Beach Mississippi. "I remember spending two weeks at Camp Ita Kana between fifth and sixth grades. I loved camp, even thought it was hot. I liked riding horses, waking in the woods, singing together and being on my own." She would have stayed with Girl Scouts longer, but never found a Cadette troop.
![]() |
| The back says "Girl Scouts 1971 Aerie Lake" |
As an adult, Ruth led her older daughter's troop for four years--two years of Brownies, one year of Juniors, and then, the year after Katrina, had a mixed troop with one Daisy, several Brownies and several Juniors. After moving to middle school, her daughter joined a troop that didn't need a leader so she spent a year as Cookie Mom before taking a couple of years off (except working her share of cookie booths yearly). She is now in her second year as her younger daughter's Daisy leader.
![]() |
| First camping trip with older daughter's troop. Ruth in green, her daughter second from right on bottom row |
Two incidents stand out in Ruth's mind when she thinks of her time as a Girl Scout Leader: " One day my first year, the school office called me on the intercom and told me they were sending some folks back to the cafeteria, where we were meeting. A girl and her father came back. He said the Girl Scouts sent them to us. She attended the public school nearest to our public school. I'll admit I was a little annoyed--not at them, but at the Girl Scouts. I had one of the biggest troops in the area, and they were sending her to me because she was a public school student. Still, I took her and the girls accepted her, and she was at the meetings regularly.The next year in the fall we had a Service Unit Mother-Daughter event. I was in the parking lot when she and her mom arrived. When H got out of the car, my daughter went over to her and greeted her with a hug. Her mom told me how happy that made her to see. She said H really didn't have many friends at school and really loved GS and she appreciated us and the way the girls accepted H. It made my day."
Ruth also told us "My six year old and I went on our first camping trip the first weekend in February. While beautiful during the day, it froze at night, and before it was over, all the girls ended up in their mother's sleeping bags. We were down inside mine and our faces were inches from each other. As it became light, I opened by eyes as my daughter opened hers. She smiled, kissed me and said she loved me. You can't buy moments like that."
Are you an MUW alumna and a current or former Girl Scout member or volunteer? Please tell us about your experiences. Fill out this form, and send photos to mfaeablog@gmail.com
Are you an MUW alumna and a current or former Girl Scout member or volunteer? Please tell us about your experiences. Fill out this form, and send photos to mfaeablog@gmail.com



No comments:
Post a Comment