Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog Spotlight: Inklings

Welcome to the Blog Spotlight. Each week, we'll introduce you to MUW alums who write about their lives, careers, families, and hobbies on their own blogs. If you would like to be featured, contact us!

Blog: Inklings (http://caelynreynolds.wordpress.com)
Blogger: Carrie Pate ('07), Vancleave, MS (writing under the pseudonym Caelyn Reynolds)
 
 
A therapist and writer from the Mississippi Gulf Coast, Carrie has been combining both of her interests in her blog, Inklings, since the summer of 2009. Carrie's main goal in starting a blog was to "loosen up" her creativity by having a ready outlet for her writing, and though her updates are sometimes sporadic, she tells us, "I hope to improve on that."
 
Along with reviews and critiques of children's, adolescent, and young adult literature, Carrie's blog also features an examination of the creative writing process. "In my reviews, I look at novels for theme, bibliotherapy/sociological merit, artistic merit, writing structure, quotability, and general likeability," she states. "In regards to the writing process itself, I look at everything from what inspires the writing to the challenges associated with it--such as writer’s block--and any other process I feel like discussing."
 
Carrie chose the name "Inklings" because it appealed to her on several levels. "I just liked it. I think of an 'inkling' as a small idea or inspiration," she says, explaining that she also couldn't resist the "ink" reference in the title. "I like the gentle word play."
 
Carrie feels that blogging has been a great experience thus far. "I enjoy my blog. It’s opened me up to some very fun reads, and it’s a great excuse to read things that are technically not 'adult' but have a lot of merit," she explains, adding, "Also, it’s been a great opportunity for my own nostalgia. I saw recently that Terry Pratchett won a prestigious award for teen lit--the timing is perfect. I had decided to go ahead and justify him as a great young adult read, and then this came over my email.  My next set of posts will be shameless Terry Pratchett worship, and I can’t wait."
 
FYI: Carrie also contributes to two other blogs: True Classics: The ABCs of Classic Film (which she co-authors with two other W alums) and Mental Minutes, a blog dedicated to discussion of mental health issues.
 
To see some of Carrie's insightful literature reviews, make sure to check out Inklings today!

No comments:

Post a Comment