Name: Shirley Rutherford Spain
Class Year: 1964
Major: Home Economics Education
In which extracurricular activities did you participate at the W?
As a work-study, I assisted in the Home Economics Department. I worked for the Adult Education Coordinator and did general typing in the department. I was a member of various clubs on campus and the honorary Phi Upsilon Omicron.
Tell us a little about your job history.
When a temporary job opening with Social Security became available, I had no idea I had found a career. Over thirty years later, after various promotions, I retired as the Area Administrative Assistant for Alabama. This was a dream job for me involving various travel within the Atlanta Region and more often throughout Alabama visiting the 24 offices. Later, I returned to Birmingham Southern College where I received a Master's in Public Management.
When did you first become involved as a W Alum? What has your involvement entailed over the years?
After I retired, I began trying to resurrect the Birmingham Alum Chapter. With help from a couple of other 1964 graduates, we have been getting together on an informal basis since the disaffiliation happened. I served on the Board as a representative of the Birmingham Chapter and have just been installed as a Director. Over the years, I have returned to campus frequently for various events, and my daughter--who graduated in 1990--and I made Homecoming a girls' weekend for many years.
What is your office this year?
Director working on Chapter Development
What are your goals for MFAeA this year?
I hope to contribute to the strengthening of the organization by developing new chapters and expanding those in place.
Now that Dr. Limbert has decided to retire, describe your ideal candidate for her successor.
My ideal candidate can see the need for a special quality education such as I obtained at the W. I would hope this person would embrace alums as the ardent supporters they can be. Most importantly, I hope we are able to find the person who shares our love for the institution and its traditions.
What can the average alumna or alumnus who isn't really a "joiner" do to support the university?
Connect with friends from their years at the W and learn what is going on both on campus and in the world of education.
Describe the MUW that you hope exists 10 years from now.
I hope to see a viable university able to be marketed to special students who will benefit from and value the education available.

No comments:
Post a Comment