Amy Johnson Davis '93 was a Girl Scout for three or four years in elementary school in Hernando, MS. "I remember the camaraderie between most of the girls, and between us and the leaders. I was impressed when one of our leaders brought in HER Girl Scout badges....I never got a lot of badges, but I did get some pins going from year to year. I bet they got stolen a few years ago when someone broke into our house and took (along with a lot of other things) both of my jewelry boxes - because that is where I kept them."
Like most Girl Scouts, Amy has some fond memories: "I know we did a day camp, but I can't remember anything about it! I remember "crossing the bridge" from being a Brownie to being a Girl Scout. We had a ceremony and actually had a wooden shipping pallet that was our "bridge" we crossed over as each of us completed our part. My little sister was 2 or 3 years old, and my mom somewhere has a picture of me doing my oath, and Anna standing next to me! Cute!"
While Amy has not been involved with Girl Scouts since that time, now that she is a mother of girls she tell us "My eldest is 8yo and I'd love for her to get involved " You know Amy, the best way to make sure there is a troop for your daughter to join is to volunteer to lead it.
No comments:
Post a Comment