Friday, May 28, 2010

Congratulations, Carrie Pate!

Photo courtesy of Trisha Pate

Carrie Pate ('07) graduated from MUW with degrees in psychology and English (with an emphasis in creative writing). While on campus, Carrie served as a mentor for the Ina E. Gordy Honors College (2005-2007) and participated in a vast array of activities on campus, including Mortar Board, Phi Kappa Phi, Sigma Tau Delta, Psi Chi, Alpha Psi Omega, Psychology Club, Mission Improv-able, MUW theater, Columbus Community theater, Midnight Writers, Bukwyrms (where she served as co-founder/president), Hearin Council, the Southern Women's Institute, Wesley, Spanish Club, and her own radio show on WMUW.

After taking a year to work for her mentor as an assistant at an outpatient counseling center, Carrie enrolled in the MSW (Master's in Social Work) program at the University of Georgia. And earlier this month, after two years of hard work, Carrie received her Master's degree!

Now that she has completed school (at least for the time being), Carrie will be living on the Coast and working at Gulf Coast Family Counseling Agency as a therapist and resident forensic social worker. As she explains, "Basically, this means that I am a therapist working with adults, teens, children, families, couples, and individuals (i.e. anyone for anything) on an outpatient basis. Also, I will take any clients with legal charges, and I'm slowly working into the realm of forensic social work (expert witnessing, collaborative divorce, alternative sentences, and mitigation) as I progress in experience."

Carrie begins working in June. In the meantime, she says, "I'm in the preliminary stages of house shopping here on the Coast. I'm also currently training my Boston Terrier puppy and future therapy dog, [The Grand] Sophy. I also plan to be writing, blogging, and enjoying having free time now that I'm taking a break from grad school." Carrie eventually plans to return to the rigors of postgraduate work. "I want to go back and get my doctorate in psychology (probably cognitive or social), but I plan to work and get my independent license at least before I do even more school." She is also interested in pursuing another Master's degree, circumstances permitting: "If MUW ever gets its MFA in Creative Writing program, I'm there (hint, hint, powers that be)!" 

When asked how the W prepared her for life after college, Carrie professes that she doesn't quite know where to start. "What surprised me was that EVERYTHING I did at the W prepared me, including Hearin ice breaker games (who knew?).  Improv was a huge help: thank you, Peppy [MUW theater Professor William Biddy]." She adds, "More than anything, though, was my ability to think and speak for myself. My double major prepared me to make an argument, do research, put it together, and be thorough in ways that really made my program easier. It made me outspoken and not afraid to talk to professors or participate in class. Working with different people in the various areas of MUW for numerous different activities really helped me be flexible, versatile, and kept me from being overwhelmed. Also, I had no fear of advocating or getting answers from major administrators and direct superiors, which any social work intern at a state agency will tell you is really important." Carrie concludes, "I could go on forever. Every day, I found something from the W that got me through my program. My undergraduate education more than prepared me for my work before grad school, my program, and my internships"

Upon enrolling in graduate school, Carrie noticed many striking differences between MUW and the much larger UGA. "The biggest thing was probably the professors," she explains. "The relationship with MUW professors is unbelievable, and I knew that before I left, but I didn't realize how much until I went to a bigger program. That much availability, and the level of teaching itself, is unsurpassed. I had a few really awesome professors at UGA, but I found myself saying that they were great and could be W professors. MUW is my gold standard."

In addition to the difference in faculty relationships, Carrie notes that the size of the two schools played a large part in how students interact with one another. "UGA is obviously huge, while MUW isn't. Huge suits some people, and small suits others. They are completely different, culturally speaking, and it's more than just the stereotype of being 'impersonal.' What's more, particularly on the graduate level, there is much less mingling between the majors. Unless you just happen to know someone, you mostly interact with people in your own department. I did spend some time with people in a few different majors and from that discovered that each department very, very much has its own personality. At MUW, I had friends in literally every major, because it was so easy to participate in various activities with a myriad of people from different majors. The community it created was very different from UGA."

As for now, Carrie says she is glad to finally be home on the Coast: "I'm excited to be back down here and working at a job I love!"

Congratulations, Carrie, and best of luck as you begin your new career!

No comments:

Post a Comment